Made this on the fly this morning from some farmers’ market items and stuff I had around, and it worked! Micromanaged instructions are aimed at me; please don’t be insulted and feel free to adjust to your needs.
- 1 large yam, about 1 pound (I suspect it’s actually a sweet potato but the farmer calls it a yam)
- 1/3 to 1/2 pint of frozen strawberries
- ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Wash the yam and strawberries.
- Use a fork to poke holes all over the yam (no I don’t peel it, because fiber).
- Nuke the yam at 50% for 10 min for one serving (your microwave may vary). For multiple servings, increase the cooking time slightly.
- Then nuke the strawberries on defrost at the 1 pound setting. Again, for multiple servings, increase the cooking time slightly.
- While the strawberries are nuking, slice the yam in half. Watch out, it’s hot!
- Pour the strawberries and the freed strawberry juice over the yam.
- Drizzle the EVOO over it all.
- Dig in!
This turns out to be a variation on my Chas’s Microwaved Yam Surprise, and an absolutely delicious one at that.
For anyone who looks askance at using ground pepper with strawberries, I refer them to the Food Network’s Roasted Strawberries with Black Pepper recipe.